We asked in our super secret Facebook group (join here) last week if anyone wanted to dive into a new series of '5 Minutes with' and Rotterdam based photographer, Roderik Van Nispen, came back to us super quickly!
Introducing Roderik Van Nispen.
1. Who are you, what do you do and how long have you been doing it?
Roderik van Nispen, Photographer, since the beginning of the century. I photograph a lot of marathons and triathlons world wide, and the rest of the time I mostly photograph portraits and documentary photography.
2. When you started out in the field you’re in, how did you get your first “break” / was there a defining moment you just knew “This is what I want to do!”
When is was in a mine in Romania, deep under the ground with horrible light conditions I felt the excitement and urge to make the best out of the situation and capture it on film.
I have been very lucky most of the time getting jobs and stability.
3. When people like me ask you that question “What’s your favourite photograph you’ve ever taken” which one do you think of first?
Probably a photo of a “Roeier” in the harbour of Rotterdam. Everything was how I wanted it to be.
4. Do you have a photographic inspiration?
Many but Cartier Bresson is probably the one everybody will know.
5. What gear do you mostly use and what bags do you use mainly?
For sports I use Nikon d5’s with various lenses, for documentary and portraits I use leica M,SL and s3 and I have a lot of bags, I mean really a lot (off course almost all thinktank and Mindshift. ) (Thank you! - Simon)
(We're very sorry we're out of most rollers right now, but you can see what Roderik uses over here)
5a. Any advice for someone wanting to do what you do?
You have to be dedicated and make sure you keep your own direction. Don’t bent into the demands of customers to much.
Please visit Roderick's website as well as his social media, linked below.
We'd love to feature YOU on our blog! ThinkTank photographer? get in touch